Air fryer bacon wrapped scallops can be served as an elegant main course or whipped up for a simple family dinner! Ready in 30 minutes with only 6 ingredients.
Looking for an easy meal that’s sure to impress? Whether you’re entertaining or just looking for a fun family meal, these air fryer bacon wrapped scallops are always a hit!
Scallops can be an intimidating dish, but with this recipe, they’re almost foolproof.
The bacon helps keep them juicy while adding that irresistible pork flavor, and the air fryer cooks them to tender perfection. It takes out all the guesswork!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The super easy method for cooking rich and delicious bacon wrapped scallops in the air fryer
- Some simple ways to know when your scallops are done cooking
- What to serve with scallops wrapped in bacon
- How to cook frozen bacon wrapped scallops
Fresh seafood is such a treat. And whether you’ve been craving scallops or they simply catch your eye at the seafood counter, this recipe is sure to do them justice.
You’ll want to make scallops all the time!
How to Make Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Scallops
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Brush the bacon strips with honey, then place in the air fryer basket.
STEP TWO: Cook at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, tossing the bacon slices a few times.
STEP THREE: Pat the scallops with a paper towel, then season with salt and pepper.
STEP FOUR: Wrap the scallops with ½-1 slice of bacon depending on the size and shape. Pin the bacon in place with a toothpick.
STEP FIVE: Melt the butter, then mix in the old bay seasoning. Brush the butter mixture over the scallops.
STEP SIX: Cook the scallops at 350 degrees F for 11-13 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the scallops are firm but still have some give.
STEP SEVEN: Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired and enjoy!
How to Know when Scallops are Done
Overcooking scallops forces out all of their natural moisture, turning them rubbery and chewy, which no one wants. But we also want to make sure they aren’t undercooked either.
Well-cooked scallops should be firm but still have a slight bounce when touched. When you cut into them, you also want them to be opaque all the way through.
The nice thing about this recipe is that the bacon will help the scallops retain some moisture, which helps prevent overcooking.
However, the best method to tell when food is done cooking is to use an Instant Read Thermometer. The scallops are done once the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees F.
Tips for Making the Best Scallops Wrapped in Bacon in the Air Fryer
- Don’t skip the honey! Brushing the bacon strips with honey will help them caramelize in the air fryer and add a slightly sweet flavor.
- The amount of bacon you can wrap around each scallop will depend on their shape. I was able to wrap most of my scallops with a whole slice of bacon but had to trim the bottom of the bacon in a few cases.
- Place the bacon wrapped scallops in the air fryer basket in a single layer with space between each one to ensure the hot air can properly circulate and cook them evenly.
Do You Need to Pre-Cook the Bacon?
Yes! The bacon takes longer than the scallops to cook, so by precooking it, we can even up the cooking times.
The goal is that at the end, the bacon is crispy and the scallops are cooked all the way through!
During the precooking, it’s okay to overlap your bacon in the air fryer basket. We’re not trying to get it crispy at this point, we’re just starting the cooking process.
Can You Cook Frozen Scallops in an Air Fryer?
You bet! However, if you plan to wrap them in bacon, I recommend using the air fryer to thaw them first to ensure both the scallops and the bacon cook evenly.
No one wants undercooked scallops or overcooked bacon!
- Prepare the bacon by brushing it with honey and pre-cooking at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the bacon is ready, set the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Cook the frozen scallops for 5 minutes to thaw them.
- Pat the scallops dry, season with salt and pepper, and proceed with the rest of the recipe like usual.
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Treat your tastebuds to savory, tender, and oh-so-delicious air fryer bacon wrapped scallops! From elegant dinners to casual family meals, they’re perfect for any occasion.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- 1 pound center cut slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of old bay seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoonred pepper flakes, optional
- Brush your bacon strips with honey. This will help them carmelize in the air fryer and add a slightly sweet flavor.
- Place your bacon in your air fryer basket. Cook it at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Toss the bacon slices a few times to keep them moving. You will slightly precook it so when you wrap it around your scallop it will fully cook since it takes longer for the bacon than the scallop to cook. It is okay to overlap your bacon. You are not looking to get it crisp at this point, just slightly cooked.
- Pat your scallops with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap your scallops with ½-1 slice of bacon. I was able to wrap most of my scallops with a whole slice of bacon but may have to trim the bottom of the bacon depending on how the scallop is shaped.
- Hold the bacon in place with a toothpick.
- Melt your butter and incorporate the old bay seasoning. Brush the butter mixture over your scallops.
- Cook your scallops at 350 for 11-13 minutes. You do not want to overcook your scallops. The bacon should be crispy and the scallops should be firm but slightly bounce back when you touch it. Optional: sprinkle red pepper flakes over top of them.