These crispy air fryer chicken cutlets are a weeknight winner the whole family will love. They cook up in minutes and can be served in so many ways. Plus, you’ll have some to freeze for a quick meal in the future.
What are chicken cutlets?
Chicken cutlets are simply chicken breasts that have been cut in half horizontally to make two thinner pieces. Then, the chicken is typically pounded with a meat tenderizer to make it thinner, so it cooks more quickly and evenly.
How to slice chicken breasts into cutlets
- To cut chicken breasts into cutlets, simply slice them horizontally in half. Using cold chicken straight from the fridge and a sharp knife will help you slice the chicken more easily.
- Next, pound the chicken to ¼- to ⅙-inch thick. If you don’t have a meat mallet, you can use a rolling pin, wine bottle, or even the palm of your hand.
Ingredients for air fryer chicken cutlets
To make these chicken cutlets, you’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (thin-sliced or whole)
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Cooking spray
How to make chicken cutlets in the air fryer
Slice and pound your chicken breasts. Season and bread your cutlets while your air fryer preheats, laying the breaded cutlets in a single layer on a baking sheet until you have 2-3 ready to cook.
When your air fryer is hot, lightly spray each cutlet with olive oil or cooking spray. Depending on the size of your air fryer, place 2-4 cutlets, oil-side down, in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Spray the other side and cook until the cutlets are golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Repeat until all cutlets are cooked.
Tips for making breaded chicken cutlets in the air fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to the cooking temperature (like you would a traditional oven) before adding your chicken.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Cutlets should be placed in a single layer and not overlap to ensure they cook evenly and come out crispy.
- Lightly spray the cutlets with olive oil cooking spray just before putting them in the air fryer. This will help keep them moist and enhance their crispy, golden coating.
- Follow cooking times closely. These cutlets cook quickly and can dry out quickly if they cook for too long.
How long to air fry chicken cutlets?
Air fry chicken cutlets that are ⅙-inch to ¼-inch thick at 375°F/190°C for about 8 minutes, or 10 minutes if frozen. Add 1-2 extra minutes for thicker cutlets.Print
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
These crispy air fryer chicken cutlets are a weeknight winner. They cook up in minutes and can be served in so many ways.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast (whole or pre-sliced fillets)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Prepare and season the fillets. Slice whole chicken breasts in half horizontally and pound to ¼- to ⅙-inch thick. Combine the salt and pepper in a small bowl and season the chicken cutlets on both sides; set aside.
- Make the egg mixture. Add the eggs and mayonnaise to a shallow bowl and whisk to combine.
- Prepare the Panko mixture. In a separate, medium-sized shallow bowl, combine the Panko, Parmesan, paprika, and garlic powder and mix until well incorporated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F. If you will be freezing some or all of the chicken fillets, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Bread the cutlets. Using a fork, transfer 1-2 chicken fillets to the egg mixture and turn to coat evenly on both sides. With the same fork, transfer the chicken to the Panko bowl. Use a spoon to sprinkle the top of the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and gently press down on the chicken to help the breadcrumb-mixture stick. Using tongs, transfer the breaded chicken to a clean plate or prepared baking sheet if freezing. (See freezing instructions in the notes section below.) Repeat until all fillets are breaded. Lightly spray both sides of the cutlets with olive oil or cooking spray just before cooking.
- Cook cutlets in the preheated air fryer. To cook, air fry the fillets in a single layer at 375°F for about 8 minutes (10 minutes if frozen), or until golden brown on the outside and cooked through. Remove them from the air fryer and allow them to cool slightly. Repeat with the remaining chicken until all cutlets have been cooked.