Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are so delicious and juicy, with a crisp skin. Chicken thighs made in an air fryer are very easy to prepare and come out amazing! This is our favorite air fried chicken thighs recipe.
Flavorful, juicy, and so easy to make, these air fried chicken thighs are amazing!
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
We love our air fryers, they are everywhere these days, and with good reason! There are dozens of foods you can cook in them, and they are inexpensive.
Can I use Chicken Breasts or Drumsticks Instead of Thighs?
Yes you can. You may want to make more than 4 drumsticks as they have less meat on them. Just double the amount of oil and spices if you do.
If you want to use chicken breasts, see my Air Fryer Chicken Breasts recipe.
Look at how juicy this chicken is! The key is to not overcook it. The air fryer cooks chicken so wonderfully!
Can Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs Be Used?
Yes, though they will need a shorter cook time. It will depend on how large they are.
Can Frozen Chicken Thighs Be Air Fried?
- Yes they can. They will take longer to cook. I usually add about 10-15 minutes, depending on their size.
- If the thighs are frozen together, run them under cool water to separate them into individual pieces. Pat them dry with paper towels and then continue with the oil/spice coating.
- If water doesn’t help to separate them, Air fry them at 350°F for about 2 minutes. They should be easier to separate into individual thighs. Pat them dry with paper towels and continue with the oil/spice coating.
How to Cook Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
Start with adding all of the spices to a small bowl. Then add oil to a larger bowl and add the spices to it.
Stir the spices into the oil. Preheat the air fryer, and while it is heating, coat each chicken thigh in the marinade.
Place the chicken thighs into the air fryer basket. Cook them on the air fry setting, flipping halfway through the cook time (see recipe card for times). They are done at 165°F internally.
The meat comes out really juicy, and the skin is lightly crisp. If you like a crisper skin you will need to cook the thighs, skin side up, a few minutes longer.
The great thing about bone-in chicken thighs is that they are somewhat forgiving and can be cooked a little longer (but not too much).
If you make these yummy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs recipe please let me know. Just leave a comment with a star rating below. I’d love to know how you liked them!Print
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are full of flavor and turn out juicy and tender with a crisp skin.
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 4 Bone-in Chicken Thighs* (Skin on)
- 4 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika (or regular paprika)
- Dry the chicken thighs and trim off any excess skin and fat. Set aside (the chicken needs to come up to room temperature).
- Add the oil and spices to a bowl and stir together.
- Preheat the air fryer at 380°F for 5 minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, coat the chicken thighs in the spice/oil mixture on both sides. Then add them to the air fryer basket. Arrange the chicken in a single layer as overcrowding will lead to uneven cooking with some raw spots.
- Air fry at 380°F for 10 minutes, then flip and air fry for an additional 7-10 minutes (the timing will depend on the size of the thighs. I cook 6 oz thighs for a total of 17 minutes. 8 oz thighs about 20 minutes total*. Results may vary).
- Check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. The temperature should read 165°F to be done. Try not to over cook**.
- Remove the thighs to a plate to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
*If you want to use boneless/skinless thighs, they will only need to cook for 12-14 minutes total.
**If you like a crisper skin you will need to cook the thighs, skin side up, a few minutes longer.
Frozen Chicken Thighs:
- If the thighs are frozen together, run them under cool water to separate them. Pat dry with paper towels and then continue with the oil/spice coating.
- If water doesn’t help to separate them, Air fry them at 350°F for about 2 minutes. They should be easier to separate. Pat dry with paper towels and continue with the oil/spice coating.
- Cook the chicken thighs for about 10-15 minutes longer. Just keep an eye on the temperature.