This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for frying fish in an air fryer, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
You may have all of these fried tilapia ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry already and not need to make a trip to the grocery store. See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- White Fish Filets: We recommend using tilapia or cod filets.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Use regular panko bread crumbs or substitute Italian bread crumbs. When using Italian bread crumbs, omit the Italian seasoning.
- Parmesan Cheese: We recommend freshly shredded parmesan cheese for best flavors.
- Italian Seasoning: You can substitute plain oregano, or make your own Italian seasoning by mixing oregano, dried basil, and thyme.
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Oil: We like to use oil with a high smoke point such as vegetable oil or avocado oil.
- Tartar Sauce: You can serve your fried fish with your favorite store bought tartar sauce or make your own. Take a look at our easy but incredibly delicious homemade tartar sauce recipe.
- Lemon Wedges
PREPARE FISH: First pat fish dry, then cut into 1 – 1 ½” wide pieces. Brush with 2 tablespoons of oil.
COVER FISH IN BREADING: Gently roll fish in the panko mixture so all sides are coated. Using your hands or a rolling pin, put gentle pressure on the fish to push the seasoning into the fish. It will stay on the fish better this way and less will fall off while cooking.
PLACE IN AIR FRYER: Spray your air fryer cooking basket/tray with cooking spray to prevent fish from sticking. Place fish into the air fryer cooking basket/tray. Make sure there is space in between each piece of fish. Do not overcrowd the basket. You may need to cook the fish in batches.
TIP: Use air fryer parchment paper, because it keeps the fish from sticking to the air fryer basket and therefore makes sure your breading stays in place.
SERVE: Remove from the air fryer. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.Print
Air Fryer Fish Fingers
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb white fish filets (tilapia or cod work well)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsps oil (high heat oil like vegetable oil or avocado oil)
- Tartar sauce
- Lemon wedges
- Combine bread crumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper in a shallow dish.
Pat fish dry and cut into 1-1½ inches wide pieces.
Brush with oil.
Gently roll fish in the seasoning dish so all sides are coated.
Place fish on parchment paper.
Cover fish with a second piece of parchment paper.
Using your hands or a rolling pin, put gentle pressure on the fish to push the seasoning into the fish. It will stay on the fish better this way and less will fall off while cooking.
Spray your air fryer cooking basket/tray with cooking spray to prevent fish from sticking.
Place fish into the air fryer cooking basket/tray. Make sure there is space in between each piece of fish. Do not overcrowd the basket. You may need to cook the fish in batches.
- Cook at 400°F for 10-12 minutes. Cook time depends on the thickness and width of your fish pieces. Check on the fish intermittently. Internal temperature should be 145°F.
Remove from the air fryer. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
- Some air fryers have a pre-heat option. Preheating may reduce the cooking time a little bit.
- Air fryers need space between the food items to circulate and cook properly. Do not overcrowd your air fryer.
- You can substitute panko bread crumbs for Italian bread crumbs. Omit the Italian seasoning.
- If you have air fryer parchment paper (parchment paper with holes for air flow) you can cook your fish on that.