Air Fryer French Fries are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside! A family favorite made with hardly any oil!
What kind of potatoes are best for this recipe?
I reach for russet potatoes when I make French fries in the air fryer because they hold their shape well, crisp up nicely but stay tender on the inside!
They are the potato most often used for fries. Other potatoes will do the trick, but your results may vary.
What is the best way to cut my fries?
I used a sharp knife to make quick work of these potatoes but a mandolin or fry cutter would be a good option too.
I like to keep things simple and not worry about storing kitchen tools that I don’t use that often.
What tools will I need to make air fried fries?
- Air fryer
- Something to cut the potatoes — a knife or mandolin.
- Large bowl
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Towels for drying the potatoes
How do you make Air Fryer French Fries?
- Clean potatoes: I rinse and scrub the potatoes under running water.
- Cut potatoes: I lean towards a 3/8-inch size fry. This size is great because they cook easily but are still tender on the inside.
- Soak the cut potatoes: Soaking will draw the starch out of the potato. This helps them crisp and keep from sticking to each other.
- Preheat the Air fryer: don’t skip this step! You want the fries to begin cooking as soon as you put them in. Luckily, it only takes a few minutes to preheat an air fryer!
- Dry the potatoes: I lay the soaked potatoes out on one towel and cover with a second then all I have to do it pat them dry — water won’t crisp or brown, so we don’t want them wet!
- Toss potatoes in oil.
- Cook for 25 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes for even cooking.
- Season with salt and serve hot with your very favorite condiments!
How many fries can I add to the basket at one time?
Because you are shaking the basket every 5 minutes, I have found that you can have a couple of layers of fries cooking at once.
I can fit about 2 potatoes worth in a 5.8-quart air fryer.
How do I keep my fries warm while I make the next batch?
I preheat the oven to 200℉ then put the air fried fries onto a rimmed baking sheet to keep them warm.
I have found the girls really like it when the next batch comes out just in time to ask for seconds! Perfect timing!Print
Air Fryer French Fries
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher sea salt
Wash and scrub potatoes.
Cut potatoes into 3/8-inch fries.
Soak cut fries submerged in cool water for 1 hour.
Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F.
Dry raw potatoes with a clean towel then place in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
Working in batches, place some of the fries in the basket. I can usually get half into my air fryer at one time, overlapping somewhat (you will be stirring them so that’s okay!)
Cook for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket to toss every 5 minutes. They are done when they are golden on the outside and tender inside.
Season with Kosher sea salt and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces!