Air fryer French fries come out perfectly crispy every time! Made with russet potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of salt, this recipe is quick and simple — to be served with your favorite sauces.
Making air fryer French fries is an art form. I remember the first time I tried to do it. I was a novice air fryer owner and didn’t know about the importance of leaving a little bit of breathing room in the basket. The results were a half-burnt, half-undercooked mess. Oh, how I’ve learned since then!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- Step-by-step instructions for making French fries in the air fryer, plus why you should have a bowl filled with cold water on hand.
- Specific cooking instructions to use your air fryer to make homemade French fries.
- FAQs on making air fryer French fries, including how to get crispy results every time.
Do You Put Oil In The Air Fryer For Fries?
I recommend applying the EVOO to the raw potatoes in a mixing bowl before you add them to your air fryer.
You can use a bit of oil directly in the air fryer (for tips on how to add oil to your air fryer click here), but I find that you really don’t need that much for this recipe. Just a tablespoon added to the bowl does the trick!Print
Air Fryer French Fries
These crispy air fryer french fries are made within 30 minutes and pair perfectly with any summer or winter meal. Enjoy a deep-fried flavor burst with little to no oil.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Cuisine: American
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fill a medium-sized bowl halfway with cold water
- Peel potatoes (if desired) and cut them into 1/4 inch slices.
- As you slice the potatoes, add them into the water to soak
- Drain potatoes and fill bowl back up. Mix the potatoes around like you’re rotating a salad with your hands. Drain again. Repeat 5-6 times until water is clear.
- Dry off potatoes and bowl with a paper towel
- Add potatoes back to dry bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil and salt. Mix to combine.
- Cook french fries at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes.