The air fryer is practically magical for so many things including steak!
Air Fryer steaks are so easy and with just a bit of oil, butter and seasoning, they come out very tender and juicy!
Simply season, place in the basket and let the air fryer do the work. Top with a pat of steak butter or garlic butter for the perfect bite!
A Perfect Steak Every Time!
Air fryers just might be the best kitchen appliance ever invented (I have this one here)! Everything is so much easier it’s prepared in an air fryer! Make fried food without the fat in about half of the time in the oven without sacrificing flavor!
Air fryers work by evenly circulating heat all around the steaks. With just a few basic seasonings, air fryer steaks are practically foolproof! Even inexpensive cuts of meat become mouthwatering and tender! When the outdoor grill isn’t available, air frying steak is the way to get great results every time.
The best air fryer steak recipe is easy and truly fuss-free. We keep it simple with a bit of oil and melted butter for flavor. Add in a quick sprinkle of steak seasonings and place in the air fryer basket. That’s all there is to it!
How to Cook Steak in an Air Fryer
Fry steaks with an air fryer, it’s as easy as 1-2-3!
- Let the steaks sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Preheat the air fryer.
- Oil and season them according to the recipe below
- Air fry between 8 and 12 minutes (per recipe below).
How Long to Air Fry Steaks
Refer to your owner’s guide for precise cooking information that goes with the appliance. But here’s a general guideline for a 1″ steak. (Thinner steaks need less time, thicker will need more).
- For rare steaks, cook about 6 to 8 minutes
- Medium steaks should be cooked for about 8 to 10 minutes
- Well-done steaks take a good 12 to 15 minutes.
Ultimately, the best way to know how your steak is cooked is with a meat thermometer. They’re fairly inexpensive (as low as $10) and will ensure that all of your meats are cooked to perfection, a worthwhile investment!
The FDA recommends a minimum temperature of 145°F with a 3-minute rest. I take the steak out about 5° before it reaches my desired temperature.
Medium Well: 155°F
Tips for Perfect Steak Every Time
- Preheat the air fryer and use room temp steaks for the best results!
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate evenly around the steaks.
- Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the basket as the heat from the basket will continue cooking it.
- Allowing the steaks to rest after cooking helps seal in the juices before serving.
Air Fryer Steak
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main Course, Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 2 steaks 1″ thick , ribeye, sirloin or striploin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter melted
- steak seasoning to taste
- 2 tablespoons steak butter or garlic herb butter, optional, below
Remove steaks from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Rub the steaks with olive oil and melted butter. Generously season on each side.
- Add the steaks to the air fryer basket and cook 8-12 minutes (flipping after 4 minutes) or until steaks reach desired doneness.
- Remove steaks from the air fryer and transfer to a plate. Rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with additional butter if desired and serve.
Steaks that are a minimum of 3/4″ thick (or thicker) cook best in the air fryer
Cook times are for a 1″ steak, adjust times as needed for thinner or thicker steaks.
- Medium Rare: Cook the steak 8-9 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
- Medium: Cook the steak 9-11 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
- Medium Well: Cook the steak 11-12 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate evenly around the steaks.
Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the basket while it rests.
Steak Butter is the restaurant secret to serving steaks! Top steaks with steak butter or mix 1/4 cup salted butter, 1 small clove garlic, minced, (or half of a large clove), 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, pinch of smoked paprika. Other fresh herbs are great in this butter too.