Delicious air fryer Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are like personal pan pizzas without the carb overload!
Filled with a meaty tomato sauce and topped with melty cheese, stuffed mushrooms are ready to serve in no time at all! Prepare them in the air fryer for maximum ease. Use Italian sausage or ground beef – or both!
Best Pizza Inspired Appetizer!
- This recipe is as fun to make as it is to eat! Low-carb and filled with Italian flavors, stuffed portobello mushrooms can be made as a quick lunch, a light dinner, or an impressive first-course appetizer!
- Portobello mushrooms are low-carb friendly with a meaty texture and flavor and are super easy to use in all kinds of recipes! Use extra chopped mushrooms in place of sausage for a meatless meal, too!
- Prepare this recipe using baby portobellos to make bite-sized pizza appetizers!
Ingredients & Variations
MUSHROOMS: Portobellos are simply very large brown mushrooms. Choose whole, unblemished mushrooms that are equal in size so they cook at the same rate.
MEAT SAUCE: Italian sausage, ground beef, diced salami, or slices of pepperoni all deliver that pizza flavor along with the peppers and onions in a garlicky tomato sauce.
CHEESE: Stuffed mushrooms need loads of melty mozzarella and parmesan cheese! Use Monterey Jack, cheddar, or whatever is on hand.
How to Make Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms in an Air Fryer
The air fryer makes quick work of this delicious recipe. Just follow these easy steps!
- Cook sausage, garlic, and vegetables until tender (as per recipe below). Add tomato sauce and simmer.
- Air fry prepared mushrooms cap side up, then flip each one over and scoop in sausage filling.
- Top with cheeses and cook until cheese is melted.
Tips for the Perfect Mushrooms
- All mushrooms are like sponges, so clean them very minimally with water and use a clean paper towel to soak up any extra moisture before using them in the recipe.
- Add the scooped-out gills or stems to the sauce recipe for a little extra bulk and flavor.
- Keep leftover air fryer stuffed portobello mushrooms in a single layer in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound Italian sausage or ground beef
- ¼ onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- ⅓ cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large saucepan cook the sausage, garlic, onion, and pepper until tender. Add tomato sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Scoop out the gills of the mushrooms and wash with cold water. Dry thoroughly and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place mushrooms in the air fryer basket and cook cap side up for 5 minutes.
- Once done flip mushrooms over and evenly fill with the sausage filling.
- Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, cook for 8-10 minutes or until mushroom is cooked and cheese is melted.
- Mushrooms get soggy so clean them with a spritz of water, and dry with a paper towel, or brush with a damp paper towel.
- Gills and stems can be used in the sauce for extra flavor.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Set the air fryer at 400°F and reheat for 4 minutes.