Air fryer breakfast potatoes (also called home fries) are a simple yet tasty dish that you can serve with just about anything. Easy to prepare and quick to cook, try making fried potatoes in the air fryer to simplify your morning.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Breakfast potatoes, or home fries, are basically fried diced potatoes. This crispy potato air fryer recipe is delicious and easy to prepare, and can be served with breakfast or brunch (or any other meal really).
It is very quick and easy to cook crispy breakfast potatoes in an air fryer, this is definitely my favorite way to prepare the dish because it doesn’t need to be watched as closely as other cooking methods. This means you can get on with your morning while they are cooking.
What do you need?
Potatoes: Choose a roasting or baking variety for the best results. Try russet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, Maris Piper, Agria, or Sebago potatoes. Most types of yellow, gold, or red potato should give good results.
Seasoning: This recipe just uses sea salt, however, you can add extra seasonings to add more flavor if you like. Try adding ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder, or any other seasonings that you like to make this dish your own.
Oil: The recipe below specifies light olive oil, but you can substitute any other cooking oil that you would normally use in your air fryer. Choose one with a high smoke point, like corn oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
How to cook breakfast potatoes in the air fryer
This is a very simple recipe to make, but there are some important steps to get right that make these the best air fryer breakfast potatoes.
- Soak the potatoes. First, peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes, then soak them in cool water for ten minutes or longer to remove any surface starch. I like to prepare them the night before, and soak them overnight in the refrigerator.
- Dry the potatoes, then season and oil. After soaking, drain the potatoes and pat them dry thoroughly on a clean dish towel or paper towel. Removing as much surface moisture as possible will help to get these potatoes really crispy in the air fryer. When the potatoes are dry, mix them with the oil and seasoning in a large bowl. Ensure the potatoes are well coated.
- Place diced potatoes in the air fryer,
- Air fry potatoes for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Shake the basket a few times during cooking to redistribute the potatoes and ensure they cook evenly.
Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 lb russet potatoes [Note 1]
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Peel the potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, and place into a bowl of cold water to soak for 10 minutes.
Preheat air fryer to 360°F/180°C.
Drain the potatoes and pat them dry. Place in a large bowl, drizzle with oil, add the salt, and toss to coat.
Place the breakfast potatoes in the air fryer and cook at 360°F/180°C for 20 minutes, shaking the basket to redistribute the potato cubes 1 or 2 times during the cooking time [Note 2].
The potato cubes should be golden brown and crispy. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes if required.
- Choose a roasting variety, such as russet potatoes, Yukon Gold, Sebago, Maris Piper, Agria, or another red, yellow or golden variety.
- Shake the basket to redistribute the potatoes so they cook easily, or use tongs to quickly flip them if you have a tray type air fryer.