Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes are super crispy and delicious, plus they are healthy. Only a tiny little bit of oil is needed. Serve them with some Comeback Sauce for a fabulous southern party appetizer or side.
I recently got an Air Fryer and I love it!! I haven’t tried making that many foods in it yet, but Fried Green Tomatoes were at the top of my list of foods to try.
Fried Green Tomatoes aren’t the healthiest of foods. I typically fry mine in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet. But these Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes are super healthy. You can eat them as is or serve with some comeback sauce.
I have the Air Fryer XL 5.3 QT and it is so easy to use. I reheat leftovers in it all the time. It doesn’t take much longer than the microwave AND it makes the food crispy.
UPDATE: I have just started using the COSORI Pro II Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT and it is my favorite air fryer by far!
You’ll need an oil mister for this recipe to give the tomatoes a very light coating of oil. Do NOT use PAM or other cooking sprays in an Air Fryer.
For an extra crispy coating these Fried Green Tomatoes are first coated in flour, then dipped in an egg/buttermilk mixture, and finally coated in a mixture of cornmeal and Panko crumbs.
TIPS FOR MAKING AIR FRYER FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- I use the Air Fryer XL 5.3 QT Black Deluxe . You can also get one in a 3.4-quart version, but unless you are just cooking for one, I recommend the larger size.
- Non-Stick cooking sprays like Pam are not recommended for use with Air Fryers. For best results, you’ll need to get an Oil Mister.
- The air fryer will get the tomatoes pretty crispy in a short amount of time. Be careful not to leave them in too long or the tomatoes will get too soft.
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 green tomatoes, (3 if they are smaller)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- mister filled with olive oil or vegetable oil
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Pat dry with paper towels and season well with salt and pepper.
Place flour in a shallow dish or pie plate, or for easy clean-up use a paper plate.
Whisk together eggs and buttermilk in a shallow dish or bowl.
- Combine Panko crumbs and cornmeal in a shallow dish or pie plate, or for easy clean-up use a paper plate.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Coat the tomato slices in the flour, dip in egg mixture, and then press panko crumb mixture into both sides. Sprinkle a little more salt on them.
- Mist air fryer basket with oil and place 4 tomato slices in basket. Mist the tops with oil. Air-fry for 5 minutes.
- Flip tomatoes over, mist with oil and air-fry 3 more minutes.
- Serve with Comeback sauce if desired.