Air fryer grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are a delicious upgrade of the traditional grilled cheese sandwich.
I love making classic comfort food, like air fryer ham and cheese sandwiches for lunches. When I was growing up, the classic combination of delicious melty cheese and tomato soup, always made cold rainy days warm.
Making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches in the air fryer is a perfect was to use leftover ham, like from our Air Fryer Ham recipe, or just deli ham.
What you need to make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches
I can make up to four sandwiches at a time in my air fryer basket. I use the Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer. If your air fryer is smaller, you can adjust the quantity according to what will fit in your basket without overlapping.
Besides an air fryer, the air fryer grilled cheese ingredients you will need are:
- White Bread
- Ham slices
- Cheese slices
- Optional: mustard and mayonnaise
How to make Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
Making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches is so easy, which is why it’s a perfect beginner meal. To begin, spread a light coating the bread with butter. Only on one side of the slices of bread. If you are using mustard and mayonnaise, spread on the other bread slices.
To assemble the sandwiches, add a slice of cheese in center of bread and a slice of ham on top of the bottom piece of bread. Then, top that, with another slice of bread butter side up.
Place in the air fryer basket without overlapping or stacking the sandwiches. If you don’t have a basket style air fryer, place the sandwiches on the air fryer tray, and then put the sandwich in air fryer.
Air Fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes, flipping the sandwich half way through the cooking process. The sandwich is done when it is golden brown and the cheese is melted.Print
Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner, lunch
- Cuisine: American
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- Spread a light layer of butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding one slice of cheese and one slice of ham, or preferred deli meats in between two pieces of bread, butter sides out.
- Place prepared sandwiches into air fryer basket, without stacking.
- Air fry at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes, until the bread is golden and reaches your desired crispness. (Flip sandwich halfway through cooking time. )
- Cooking times will vary depending on size and wattage of your air fryer. If you are only making 1-2 sandwiches, cooking time may be a few minutes faster as well.
- If you are using mustard and mayonnaise, spread on the other bread slices.