Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets are perfectly seasoned, deliciously tender and juicy inside – Easy healthier Kid friendly nuggets from scratch.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 and ½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
½ cup grated parmesan
2 pinches red pepper flakes (optional)
2 pinches dried parsley (optional)
1. Trim excess fat from chicken and then cut into 1-inch pieces. Mix chicken along with lightly beaten egg, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl, until well combined.
2. Sprinkle all purpose flour on top and toss around to coat the chicken and keep aside.
3. In a shallow bowl, stir together panko, parmesan, red pepper flakes and pasrley (if using).
4. Working with one chicken piece at a time, dredge into the panko-parm mixture, turning and pressing on all sides to coat evenly and place on a plate (try to to pack the breadcrumbs well on the chicken).
5. Pre heat air fryer at 400°F for 8 minutes. Place half the chicken nuggets into the air fryer basket (spacing evenly), spray a generous coating of non-stick cooking spray.
6. Cook, flipping halfway, spray with non-stick cooking spray and finish cooking, until cooked through.
7. Transfer chicken nuggets and repeat process with the remaining batch.
8. Serve chicken nuggets hot with ranch dressing, ketchup, marinara or your favorite barbecue sauce.
To use boneless, skinless chicken breast – Cut one pound chicken breast into ½ inch strips and then cut each into 2 to 3 nuggets.
Dredge well – Using hands or tongs, make sure to press bread crumb mixture well on all sides of the chicken nuggets to help it adhere well and give a thicker coating.
Do not over crowd the air fryer basket – Place chicken nuggets in a single layer, and leave a little space around for the air to circulate, which helps in crisping the nugget. OVER CROWDING will NOT make a crispy chicken nugget.Make it gluten free – Use gluten free flour and gluten free Panko bread crumbs.
Panko breadcrumbs – If you don’t have panko, then regular regular bread crumbs may be used (but, the nuggets won’t get as crispy).
Parmesan – Finely shredded parmesan cheese is highly recommended. If you are using pre shredded cheese (that is very coarse), then process for a few seconds in a small food processor or dry grinder.